Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Week: 7

Date: Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Subject: week 7


" Monday-Wednesday:
Three people from my District left in the morning (Kikel, Perez and Sister Smith) and the rest of my District, with another Quezon City District, left later in the afternoon. Bus to a Front Runner, Front Runner to another Front Runner, and then we arrived at the airport. By the way, I ran into Elder Cody Napaepae (at the Utah airport) for those of you in Oxnard 3rd ward who remember him. On our first flight, I had the chance to talk with a mother and her daughter from South Pasadena: Hua and Erica Shen. They had questions about Mormons, so we talked for a bit. We are actually not allowed to proselyte on planes, but if they have questions, we can answer (: The flight from Hong Kong was probably the worst one...I nearly threw up. Also, there were so many movies playing that I tried so hard not to watch any of them. In truth I glance over at Monsters Inc which was ok of course, and then a Korean movie....not quite sure what it is called, but ...nevermind! I already repented (: On our last flight, we were all separated, and for some strange reason, I was placed all the way in the back..on the very last seat...by myself! So once we were allowed to remove our seat belts, I forced my whole district to sit with me in the back of the plane, because no one was there. We all colored in Sister Judd's coloring books! We arrived in Manila an hour late, due to ugly turbulence and rain. We all took our luggages to the front and waited for our ride, for what seemed like hours. I was laughing at all of our missionaries because they were turning red and sweating. We were picked up in vans and taken to our Mission President's house = President Revillo. At the home we also met other Quezon City missionaries! We all ate chicken adobo, chop suey, coconut macaroons, and fruit salad. I nearly died because everything was so good. We had an In-Field Orientation, met our companions, took pictures, and said our goodbyes! Kasama ko = Sister Soliven; she is originally from Olongapo and she has been on her mission for 6 months in Mindoro (The jungle/other island area of our mission)...so we are both new to our area...which is Marikina!. I had the awesome opportunity to ride with Elder Smith (from my District) and Elder Jones (the other QC District). The other two sisters I am staying with are Sister Tibungcog (2months) and Sister Racaza (7months) = both from Mindanao. I unpacked a little bit and then the two other sisters took us to a dinner/Family home evening appointment that they had. It was so embarrassing because I kept falling asleep. Seriously, ...I tried so hard to stay awake but I couldn't. So once we got home, all of the sisters let me sleep early.
Thursday:
Today, Sister Soliven and I were given a tour around Marikina 6B. For lunch, we were taken to a place called The Waffle Corner. Pretty sweet place! We also had the opportunity to teach an investigator named Bernard, whose girlfriend, Julie, is a ward missionary. It was the first time I gave my testimony in Tagalog, here in the PI.
Friday:
In the morning, we had some confusion with our other sisters. They wanted to know if Marikina 6B was really our area, because that was their former area. Sister Soliven said that she thought our zone leaders gave us 6A instead. So we decided to pray about it. This was the first time I had companionship prayer with a specific question in mind. We both received the same answer: 6A...which is the mountains area or "bundok". So, with that out of the way, they gave us a tour of Marikina 6A. Every time we work here, we must ride a jeepney because it is too far to walk. My first time riding a jeepney, I almost threw up...but, I'm so good now. I need to know how people know when to get off, because you can't see anything! There are certain areas in Marikina 6A, or Cupang, that we need to be out of at certain times. Also, when they say "bundok", they are so serious. HILLS! Thank you Girls Camp for training me! We met so many people! And I seriously need to remember how to get to all of their homes. Gosh, I have so much love for these people, I just wish I could communicate with them better. The frustrating thing right now is that even though Tagalog is the national language, everyone tries to speak English and Spanish, especially when they see me. However, when they speak Tagalog, they mumble and they whisper. It is super super super hard to hear them!
Saturday:
Today was more touring of our area, only Sister Soliven and I. We found a map in our area book and tried to figure out where we were. Sister Soliven has a good map memory, but she forgets everyone's names haha! We got lost every now and then, and experienced some pretty sweet rain showers.
  We also had lunch at our Bishop's house; he lives right underneath us. His wife is an amazing cook!!!! We had pasta, fish, and sugar/coconut. GOSH. Our Bishop is super super hilarious. Seriously.

Sunday:
Yes! Sunday! Our ward starts at 7:30am...but because everyone comes late, we start at 8am. Sister Soliven and I introduced ourselves to the ward and met tons of new people! There is only one church building and one ward for both Marikina 6A and 6B. The problem with my area is that there are tons of Less Active members. They are less active because church is early, it is too far, and many of them do not have enough money, but Sister Soliven and I know that church attendance definitely brings blessings! Sacrament Meeting was in Taglish, Gospsel Essentials was in Tagalog, as well as Relief Society, and my Ward Council Meeting was only in Tagalog. I love Sundays, but I felt so overwhelmed. The cool thing about our ward is that we have tons of ward missionaries and members who like to help us out. For Dinner, we go to Sister Micairin's place every Sunday. Today she made Chinese food. SO LEGIT. When we set out to work, we had Brother Adolf (20yr old and preparing to serve a msision), Brother Franz (RM from Laoag), Sister Mercy and Sister Annie. Ya, everyone says everyone's first name...definitely brings people closer.  Sister Soliven and I did splits, so I traveled with Adolf and Sister Mercy. They helped me familiarize myself with the area while introducing me to more people...which gives me more home locations to remember! -____-. I struggled so much with teaching this whole day and I began to get a little sick because the rain was seriously on us, with floods.  Adolf is so amazing! Every single time we went to a home, they asked him for a blessing. You can feel the Spirit so strongly with him. I know he will be a fantastic missionary. By the end of the day I was very exhausted and frustrated, but I have no expectations for myself. I know that this is only my first week and things will only get harder, but I know that things will be much better as well.
Today: my first PDAY has been sweet! I washed my clothes by hand, in the rain haha. I took pictures of cockroaches, there is a cat who constantly chases me, I've been eating a lot of chips...I definitely noticed some weight loss already, and I tried to take a nap, but I failed. (:


 The Philippines, so far in Marikina, is pretty awesome. I've met so many people these last few days, I've ridden jeepneys and tricycles, and I am definitely learning a lot. TO be honest, I haven't been able to receive an adequate amount of sleep these last few days, but everytime I wake up early, I just pray and pray and pray. I have faith that I will be able to be fluent with the language by the time of my first transfer, I really do. I am picking up Tagalog pretty quickly and I definitely know that the Tagalog at the MTC is not different, it's just more proper. I have not experienced a culture shock, but I still can't believe I'm in the Philippines. Sister Soliven is so amazing! She has been assigned as my trainer/companion for a reason and I just love her so much. I feel like all of you, my friends and family are just a couple hours away and that I could visit anytime. And yes, from now on, my weekly letters may be this huge (:
I hope everyone is doing well! I have one address for letters and packages: My mission home. Also, for those of you wanting to send letters to me through DearElder and saying that it cost money, it shouldn't cost any money if it is only a letter. Unless there has been a rule change?  Also, if you plan to send me letters or packages, I get them every six weeks...I think, and I ask that you put Catholic stickers (pics of Jesus or the virgin mary) on them so that people will not open my mail. Seriously (: Anyways, I love all of you and I want all of you to know that I am so thankful to be a part of this work, as a full-time missionary of the Simbahan ni Jesucristo ng mga Banal sa mga Huling Araw. Take Care!
Sister Tatiana Escobar "

No comments:

Post a Comment