Friday, May 24, 2013

Perspectives

Yesterday I had the opportunity to visit my friend Amanda Mitchell, with my other friend Tia Brown (both Tia and I are serving as Ward Missionaries right now).

I have not seen Amanda in the longest time, but that is what happens when your life becomes busy with  other priorities: work.

Amanda is a beautiful woman and she is awesome. It pains to me know that she had been feeling outcasted at church during her recent attendances. Of course we do not need to understand everyone's emotions and thoughts, but I just felt extremely sad knowing that she has noticed certain cliques at church.

No matter where we go or how many crowds we meet, there will always be cliques; large or small. It's something we can't exactly get rid of. But in reality, what we can do is understand perspective. For me, I have no problem associating myself with people; all kinds of people actually, whether they or reserved or outgoing. Socializing is one of my greatest skills and it is something I enjoy doing. I know that there are others who would consider themselves passive, but there greatest skills comes in the form of listening.

What Amanda experienced is what we all experience at some point in our lives. When we find ourselves in a midst of people that seem unfamiliar to us and we begin to feel extremely awkward; it happens. If you are passive or outgoing, I cannot tell you to socialize more or to listen more. People are people and our perspectives point out certain paths we are compelled or attracted to take.

So, embrace the skills you have come to understand. Do not be afraid to associate yourself with new people and do not be afraid to hold back on input and listen.

Thankfully, Amanda told me and Tia that she would be at church this Sunday <3
She also sent us messages on facebook, informing us of her gratitude and appreciation regarding our visit and love for her (:

No comments:

Post a Comment